Student Diversity Scholar Program
*Important 2020 Program Update*
With the 2020 SAF National Convention going virtual, the SAF Student Diversity Program has shifted to offer complimentary registration to 25 students who meet the criteria below. Apply by July 31, 2020.
About the Program
The SAF Student Diversity Scholar program is designed to promote leadership and create community within SAF by encouraging the involvement in the profession of a variety of people in terms of race, ethnic background, religion, age, gender, and ability, as well as the diversity of geography, employer groups, philosophies, and career choices within the broad field of forestry. The program involves attending the SAF National Convention and participating in a series of activities focused on developing leadership and networking skills; opportunities to interact with leaders; and an opportunity to participate as a future leader in SAF.
Each student will be paired with a mentor who is a career natural resource professional for the duration of convention. These mentoring relationships are intended to continue for at least the year following the convention, but most continue beyond that point and help students grow their new networks. Past Student Diversity Scholars have discovered employment opportunities and funding for graduate education through the relationship with their mentor.
• Enrolled in an undergraduate (associate or bachelor’s) or graduate (masters or PhD) program at a US or Canadian institution.
• Interested in forestry, natural resources, terrestrial ecosystems and/or other related fields as a career.
• Interested in encouraging and promoting a culture of inclusion within the profession.
• Serve as an ambassador for diversity, through participating in local SAF and/or on-campus events and in the Diversity and Inclusion Working Group.
• Participate in an e-mentorship program with a natural resource professional (adjusted for 2020).