Station Manager of the Tortuguero Biological Field Station (Costa Rica) for Sea Turtle Conservancy
Spanish version of job listing can be found here: https://conserveturtles.org/wp-content/uploads/Tort-Station-Manager-Job-Announcement-2019-Spanish-1.pdf
Sea Turtle Conservancy (STC) announces an opening for Station Manager of its Biological Field Station at Tortuguero, Costa Rica. STC’s Tortuguero Biological Field Station is home of the longest-continuous sea turtle research and protection program in the world. Spanning 55 years, the program at Tortuguero is monitoring and protecting one of the largest green turtle rookeries in the world; providing intense field research training to young biologists; and is a global model for volunteer eco-tourism. For information and images of the station and the work taking place there, see https://conserveturtles.org/job-announcement-station-manager-at-stcs-biological-field-station-in-tortuguero-costa-rica/ or visit the Sea Turtle Conservancy Tortuguero Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/conserveturtlestortuguero/
The Station Manager will oversee the year-round operation and maintenance of this remote research station. The Station Manager will supervise a staff of 6-8 permanent employees who carry out activities ranging from physical maintenance, boat operations, cooking, security, grounds keeping and Visitor Center operations, and custodial services. It is the Station Manager’s responsibility to ensure that the Station, grounds and equipment are maintained in good working order and that all scheduled repairs, cleaning and upkeep are carried out. The Station Manager also will be one of STC’s chief liaisons with the community of Tortuguero, Tortuguero National Park staff, government officials, visiting scientists, volunteers and local businesses. This position will not specifically include scientific responsibilities, though the Station Manager is encouraged to assist with research, education and community outreach projects when feasible.
The Station Manager will be provided full room and board at the STC station, along with a modest salary enabling one to live comfortably in the unique and beautiful setting of Tortuguero, Costa Rica. This is a permanent, full-time position, and STC is looking for someone ready to make a long-term commitment to running its Biological Field Station.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in public relations, hospitality, eco-tourism, facilities management or similar field
- Fluency in both English and Spanish is required
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills
- Good communications and public relations skills
- Basic office and computer skills for record keeping and report writing
- Willingness to work hands-on to get the job done
- A dedication to the mission of STC
- Ability to manage and motivate people in a challenging tropical environment set within a laid back Caribbean culture
- Good interpersonal skills – ability to converse with and relate to a range of people from media to scientists to general sea turtle enthusiasts
- Ability to work independently, with little direct supervision
- Someone who leads by example
- First aid/CPR training (can be provided by STC)
- Experience in retail management and/or environmental education
PAY AND HIRING TIMELINE:
Applications are being accepted now, with the goal of filling the position by the end of January 2020 in order to overlap with the departing Station Manager. This full-time position to be based in Tortuguero includes a compensation package consisting of free lodging, full meals while at the station and a starting salary of $20,000 US.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter, resume, and references via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Prefer to receive in English.
Online job listing found here: https://conserveturtles.org/job-announcement-station-manager-at-stcs-biological-field-station-in-tortuguero-costa-rica/