Position Title: Seasonal Educator
Service Group: Education (Manatee Viewing Center)
Reports To: Public Programs Supervisor
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt (seasonal)
Responsible for the instruction and care of stingray touch pool located at TECO Manatee Viewing Center during operation hours. Ensures that all discussion of stingrays is engaging, innovative and effective, as determined by evaluation, and in direct support of the mission of The Florida Aquarium.
Essential Position Functions
- Conducts informal impromptu discussions in outdoor habitat spaces.
- Delivers extraordinary customer service to all Manatee Viewing Center guests and internal customers.
- Helps maintain program and training materials ensuring dissemination of the most up-to-date information.
- Must be highly motivated, reliable, and prompt.
- Greets volunteers and facilitates daily floor courtesy
- Assists in training new staff and education volunteers.
- Maintains interpretation techniques and presentation skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirements and Technical Skills
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in Education, Biology or related discipline (Associates degree working towards Bachelor’s accepted also) or related work experience
- Teaching and/or public speaking experience preferred
- Customer Service Orientation — Listening and understanding the customer (both internal and external) and anticipating and evaluating the customer’s needs; making the customer’s satisfaction a high priority in all areas of responsibility.
- Teamwork — Supporting, facilitating, and participating in activities that promote team effectiveness; demonstrating sensitivity for the feelings and needs of team members and supporting team goals.
- Communication (oral and written) — Effectively expressing ideas verbally and non-verbally and actively listening to individuals and groups; preparing and focusing presentations to the characteristics and needs of the audience; expressing ideas clearly and concisely in written form, through memoranda, letters, reports, and other documents.
- Creativity — Proactively combining ideas, resources and skills in new and adaptive ways to better meet outcomes and objectives; finding new ways of positioning the aquarium worldwide as a model of excellence.
- Information Gathering and Monitoring — Effectively collects relevant data using questioning or research techniques to monitor and manage projects and people
- Follow-up — Institutes methods for monitoring people and projects
Typical Physical Requirements
- Standing (8 hours per day)
- Walking (6 hours per day)
- Exposure to Central Florida Weather Conditions daily
- Carrying up to 50 lbs — Occasionally
- Lifting up to 50 lbs — Occasionally
- More than normal talking
- Daily contact with a living collection of plants and animals in a central Florida climate
- Flexibility in working weekends and evenings
- Flexibility in working holidays
- Ability to interact and be around animals
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity
- Exposure to salt water