Job Reference OM001
Position: Sea Turtle Biologist & Guest Educator
Start date: 15th December 2018
Duration: 1 year with possibility to extend
This is a paid position
Apply before: 8th November 2018
There will be an 8-week probationary period, followed by a performance review. Performance reviews will take place every 6 months afterwards.
The Olive Ridley Project (ORP) is dedicated to removing and reducing the number of derelict fishing nets in the Indian Ocean and to protecting vulnerable marine turtles that fall victim to this ghost gear and habitat destruction. We achieve this by training volunteers to remove derelict fishing gear, safely rescue trapped animals, and record important information about the gear and animals entangled in it. Furthermore we conduct research using Photo-ID methods to look at population stability, nesting activity and spatial distribution of sea turtles in the Indian Ocean. We have one of the largest turtle-ID databases in the world with just over 17,000 observations and work with an international team of experts to better develop the method.
ORP and Six Senses Zighy Bay in Oman have established a new partnership. Together we aim to initiate our sea turtle photo-ID database to monitor sea turtle populations and nesting activity in the region. We will also work towards new methods that minimise ghost fishing of traps and pots in the local region by working alongside local fishers in the bay.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Photo-ID research (training provided)
- Writing social media posts
- Database management
- Data analyses
- Community outreach and awareness building
- Establishing new and strengthening existing partnerships with local NGOs
- Work alongside and strengthen relationship with fishers in the area
The successful candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Minimum bachelors degree in Marine Biology, Zoology or related field
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Arabic
- Excellent communication skills
- Qualified SCUBA diver
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with sea turtles
- Knowledge of, and a passion for, the marine environment and conservation
- Experience working in remote locations with limited resources
- Working with small scale fishing communities
- Working within the fisheries sector
Please send a CV and cover letter to Martin Stelfox at email@example.com before 8th November 2018. Only those who meet the requirements for the position will be considered.
Please make sure to include job reference OM001 in the subject of your email when applying.