ORP currently have two exciting opportunities to join our passionate team in the Maldives!
The Olive Ridley Project (ORP) is dedicated to removing and reducing the number of derelict fishing nets in the Indian Ocean and to protecting vulnerable marine turtles that fall victim to this ghost gear and habitat destruction. We achieve this by training volunteers to remove derelict fishing gear, safely rescue trapped animals, and record important information about the gear and animals entangled in it.
Furthermore we conduct research using Photo-ID methods to look at population stability, nesting activity and spatial distribution nationwide in the Maldives. We have one of the largest turtle-ID databases in the world with just over 15,000 observations and work with an international team of experts to better develop the method.
Sea Turtle Biologist and Guest Educator, Lhaviyani atoll
Job Reference PRO001
Position: Sea Turtle Biologist & Guest Educator (English and German speaker)
Start date: 3rd November 2018
Duration: 1 year with possibility to extend
Salary: 700 USD per month plus living expenses
There will be an 8-week probationary period, followed by a performance review. Performance reviews will take place every 6 months afterwards.
ORP and Prodivers based on Kuredu Resort and Spa in Lhaviyani atoll have been working together since 2013. Prodivers is one of the largest and longest running 5* instructor development centres in the Maldives. Together we are looking for an enthusiastic turtle biologist to join the team and help with our research and awareness programs.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Providing the necessary care and first aid for entangled sea turtles in preparation for relocation to ORP’s Marine Turtle Rescue Centre
- Sea turtle nesting patrols
- Photo-ID research (training provided)
- Leading sea turtle dive and snorkels for resort staff and guests
- Writing social media posts
- Database management
- Guest and staff turtle focused presentations
- Take part in raising overall environmental awareness at the resort
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Minimum bachelors degree in Marine biology, zoology
- Fluent in spoken and written English and spoken German
- Excellent communication skills
- Qualified SCUBA diver (preferably rescue diver or higher)
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with sea turtles
- Knowledge of, and a passion for, the marine environment and conservation
- Experience working in a remote location with limited resources
- Experience with handling large database, Excel, PowerPoint and R stats
- Prior knowledge of R statistical language and analyses
Please send your CV and cover letter to Martin Stelfox at email@example.com before 19th September 2018. Only those who meet the requirements for the positions will be considered. Please make sure to include job reference PRO001 in the subject of your email when applying.