At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success
with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future
through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every
industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best
team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by
Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create
solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a candidate for a Scientist/Biologist to train for a 24-month term in the BASF Field
Research and Development (Biology) team, located at the Midwest Research Farm, near Champaign,
In this role, you will be required to travel to other areas of the country. At the end of your 24-month
training period, you will be ready for your next move to one our many field biology locations, or our
headquarters office in Research Triangle Park, NC. This means you must be mobile, willing and able to
move to be considered for this unique opportunity.
Formula for Success: You will develop skills and competencies in the following:
• Enhance career development and deliver value to BASF through the planned research and
develop projects across multiple indications (herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, nutrient
management, seed solutions, etc.)
• Research and development projects include leading and conducting internal field trials at the
Midwest Research Farm (Season 1) and managing field trials and relationships with university
and private cooperators in the geography that may include Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and
Michigan (Season 2).
• For all assigned research and development trials, you will be responsible for analyzing,
interpreting and communicating results to project leaders, leading to the development of new
innovations for agricultural producers.
• During the off-season, you will have an opportunity to travel to the US Agricultural
Products headquarters in Research Triangle Park, to train with project leaders on an assigned
project and work with the field and greenhouse teams, as well as interact with multiple functions
across the Agricultural Products group.
Scientist/Biologist – Illinois-1704823
Scientist/Biologist – Illinois Page 1 of 3
• Conduct internal data summary presentations and provide commercially pertinent information to
Technical Service and Sales teams.
• Maintain awareness of competitive commercial and developmental compounds and communicate
pertinent information to key internal stakeholders.
• Employ innovative and entrepreneurial thinking in finding new opportunities for our crop
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits,
perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your
life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive
health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions,
to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working
for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your
network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Learn more about BASF Agricultural Products: BASF: Create Chemistry with the Agricultural Products
Qualifications – NOTE: Not all positions are eligible for cross-regional relocation/work authorization. Cross
regional is defined as movement between countries (e.g. Canada to U.S.).
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
• M.S. degree in Agricultural Science, Agronomy, Biology or Plant Science related field (i.e., weed
science, entomology or plant pathology) with demonstrated academic achievement (Minimum
Major GPA 3.0)
• Mobility – commitment to relocate to other areas of the US upon completion of the training period
• Valid Driver’s License – willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time within 4-state
territory (IN, IL, MI, WI) and to Research Triangle Park, NC for additional training opportunities
• Demonstrated leadership, strong communication, team work, and time management skills
• Customer focused (internal and external)
• Self-starter with demonstrated decision-making ability, as well as flexible and adaptable
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, with limited supervision.
• Strong computer skills
• Ph.D. degree in Agricultural Science, Agronomy, Biology or Plant Science related field (i.e., weed
science, entomology or plant pathology).
• Working knowledge of crop production and pest management practices of field crops
• Experience in small plot research including plot design, layout, analysis, calibration, spraying and
• Strong statistical and analytical skills important to interpret field trial data
Primary Location US-IL-Springfield
Organization N-APN-Crop Protection North America
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job
Scientist/Biologist – Illinois Page 2 of 3