Dolphin Research Center (DRC) is currently accepting applications for Research Interns for the Winter 2020 term (Jan-May). DRC is a not-for-profit education and research facility, providing sanctuary and a forever home to a family of dolphins and sea lions. DRC is located on Grassy Key, in the heart of the Florida Keys.
Internships at DRC are an exciting way to develop career skills as well as an opportunity to see how a marine mammal facility operates. Research interns participate in DRC’s ongoing behavioral, cognitive, and field research projects, giving them broad exposure to a variety of research methodologies. Interns receive extensive on-the-job training in observing marine mammal behavior, collecting observational data, working with research equipment, and assisting with experimental research sessions. Note: conducting your own research projects is not part of this position.
Specific job duties include:
- Collecting observational behavioral data
- Preparing stimuli for cognitive research sessions
- Assisting in setting up and breaking down equipment for cognitive and acoustic research sessions
- Operating video equipment
- Entering or scanning data into the computer for analysis
- General support of the facility through participation in the volunteer resource pool (facility maintenance, bird care, assisting with public programs, guest interactions, etc.)
Internships require a minimum of a 16-week commitment, 40 hours per week. The internship is unpaid, and interns are responsible for providing their own housing. DRC will provide assistance in locating housing and/or matching up interns and volunteers desiring roommates. Successful candidates will be ready and willing to learn, self-motivated, and flexible. Prior research experience is recommended but not required.
The deadline to apply is November 15th, 2019. To apply, you must complete the application available at www.dolphins.org. Click “Careers”, and then “Internships”. It is mandatory that you please provide the following materials:
- A completed Application Form (including your Internship Preferences in order of choice)
- A current Resume
- Transcript (may be unofficial unless you are seeking a credit for your internship)
- Two Letters of Recommendation with an original signature. (If currently enrolled in college, one letter must be from your Faculty Advisor)
Application may be submitted online or in physical form. Please send your application, supporting documentation and any additional information you wish that you feel would be beneficial to us in processing your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to the attention of Volunteer Resource at (305) 743-7627, or by regular mail:
Dolphin Research Center
Attn: Volunteer Resources Department
58901 Overseas Highway
Grassy Key, FL 33050