DMAD – Marine Mammals Research Association
The borders of many countries remain closed and it is currently almost impossible to travel safe due to the outbreak of COVID-19, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t benefit from our knowledge and develop your career or get help with your thesis remotely. You can receive both research and public outreach experience working with the DMAD team. http://www.dmad.org.tr/remote-internships
WHO ARE DMAD AND WHAT DO WE DO?
- DMAD – Marine Mammals Research Association have scientific projects running in Turkey, Montenegro and Albania. We conduct long-term studies of marine mammals in Istanbul, Antalya, the Levantine Sea, Montenegrin coastal waters and the northern coastline of Albania. We aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and behaviour, define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major threats, ranging from tourism to hydrocarbon exploration.
- Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of awareness initiatives targeted at the local community. More details on theprojects can be found here: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-projects
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP:
The DMAD team provides lectures and training as well as constant support. You will be given the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammal research including:
- Cetacean species identification within the Mediterranean
- Population statuses and threats to marine mammals within the Mediterranean
- Software used in the field (Pythagoras, Logger 2010)
- Data analysis using GIS, R, Distance, Mark
- Passive Acoustic Monitoring using PamGuard
- Residency Pattern Analysis
- Scientific support on manuscript and technical report writing including thesis supervision-Population
The internship is for 2 months and is about 100 hours and requires a contribution fee of 380 euro, which fully goes to supporting the project.
WHATS INCLUDED IN THE FEE:
- PDF copies of the training and lectures
- Audio recordings
- Scientific support through weekly Skype calls
- Real data and practical examples to work through
HOW TO APPLY
Our next Remote Internship starts on the 20th of July 2020 and has a limited number of places.
Email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, explaining the subject of your thesis in the cover letter.
If you wish to have more info about our other internships and work please take a look at some of our web pages and social media:
- Our research: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-projects
- Our remote internships: http://www.dmad.org.tr/remote-internships
- Our publications: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-publications
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DMADforNature/