Closing date: Sept. 7, 2017
Salary: $124,406 to $187,000 / per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: NMFS-GAR-2017-0007
The Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office (GARFO) is responsible for administering the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s programs for the management of living marine resources for sustainable use from the Canadian border to Cape Hatteras. It guides multi-disciplinary research programs to provide scientific and technical information necessary to manage and conserve living marine resources. The Greater Atlantic Region administers diverse programs to the general public, conservationist, and precision groups, the fishing industry, recreational fisherman, education institutions, representatives of State and local governments, and foreign fishing interest.
Duties: The Regional Administrator directs National Marine Fisheries Service programs in support of responsible international fisheries management through the GARFO and advises the Department of State in fisheries negotiations. The Regional Administrator is responsible for:
1. Providing guidance and counsel to the Assistant Administrator for Fisheries in the development of national fisheries policy and approaches to solving economic, social, and political problems in the national and international arena; identifying critical and sensitive problems; recommending solutions and changes in policy; and implementing national laws and court decisions regarding living marine resources.
2. Coordinating with key individuals of other government agencies, international bodies, and with other elements of NOAA, to carry out the policies and priorities.
3. Overseeing the implementation of the budget by ensuring financial, administrative, and automated data processing activities are integrated with NMFS’ procedures and systems; and supporting NMFS” and NOAA’s strategic planning process by defining the financial resources needed to efficiently and effectively run GARFO.
4. Serving as the local spokesperson for NMFS and meeting the responsible of NOAA by establishing a system of cooperative action, in concert with the states and the Regional Fisheries Management Council, to develop and implement fishery management plans.
Supervisory Status: Yes
Travel Required: Occasional Travel (25% or greater)
This position requires occasional travel to meetings, visiting laboratories, etc.
Relocation Authorized: Yes (relocation expenses may be authorized)
- Incumbent may be subject to geographic moblity.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Newly appointed SES members must serve a 1 year probationary period.
- Position is subject to pre-employment background investigation.
- Public Financial Disclosure (OGE-278 filing within 30 days is required).
- Position is subject to random drug testing.
Qualifications: To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must possess all of the mandatory Executive Core Qualifications and Professional/Technical Qualifications listed below. These qualifications would typically be acquired through education, experience, and training which reflect progressive development and achievement in managing a comprehensive business program in a complex organization. An individual’s total experience and education must demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position. Applicants must meet all of the qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
SES Executive Core Qualifications:
- ECQ 1 – Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2 – Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3 – Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4 – Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- ECQ 5- Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
- NOTE: Responses to ECQs must not exceed 10 pages typed 12 point font.
Professional/Technical Core Qualifications (PTQ):
- PTQ 1 – Demonstrated ability to interact with representatives of foreign governments and foreign industries regarding the use and allocation of living marine resources or matters of comparable scope and impact.
- PTQ 2 – Experience in administering natural resources management programs which directly impact the conservation and management of natural resources.
- PTQ 3 – Experience in developing and implementing fisheries management programs and/or programs for the conservation and protection of marine mammals and endangered species or living marine resources habitat protection.
- Note: Responses to PTQs must not exceed 2 pages per PTQ for a total of 6 pages.
For detailed guidance on ECQs, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management’s Guide to Executive Qualifications at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
Example of ECQ statements are available at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf As a basic requirement for entry into the SES, you must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ’s) and the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQ’s) listed under “How You Will Be Evaluated.” Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-14/15 grade level in the Federal service or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or non-governmental organizations. This position and/or series has no educational requirement.
Security Clearance: Secret
What To Expect Next: The Office of Executive Resources will provide notification of applicant status through periodic emails at the four points of the hiring process, as applicable, in a timely fashion. The four points of notification are: Application Received; Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Not Met; Panel Rating of Best Qualified (Application referred to the Selecting Official) or Panel Rating of Qualified/Not Qualified (Application not referred to Selecting Official); and Selected or Not Selected. The most best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified by email of the receipt of your application.
Applicants can check the status of their application at any time after the announcement closes by accessing USAJOBS website.
Select “My USAJOBS” and enter your ID and password. Click the link titled “Applications” and select the link under “Application Status” next to the name of the announcement. Your status will be updated as changes occur.
The typical SES selection process at NOAA averages 80-85 work days after the announcement closes.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Human Resources Specialist at the telephone number listed in the announcement.
Benefits: Review our benefits
- Background Investigation: This position is designated as Non-Critical Sensitive and requires that a background investigation be conducted and favorably adjudicated in order to establish security eligibility
- Financial Disclosure: This position is covered under the Ethics in Government Act, which requires comprehensive financial disclosures from employees. The appointee will be required to file a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-278), within 30 days after his/her appointment, and then annually thereafter.
- Qualifications Approval and Probationary Period: Persons newly selected for career appointment to the Senior Executive Service must have their executive core qualifications approved by an Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board and will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Mobility: Individuals selected for Senior Executive Service positions may be subject to reassignment across geographical, organizational, and functional lines.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required by P.L. 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
- Drug Testing: Applicants tentatively selected for employment in any position are subject to designated and/or random pre-employment and employment urinalysis. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment and/or removed from employment with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Department of Commerce.
- False Statements: If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired, you may be fired after you begin work, or you may be subject to fine, imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
- The materials you send with your application will not be returned.
- Please DO NOT put your SSN on pages within your application package. Privacy Act – Privacy Act Notice (PL 93-579): The information requested here is used to determine qualifications for employment and is authorized under Title 5 U.S.C. 3302 and 3361.
- Signature – Before you are hired, you will be required to sign and certify the accuracy of the information in your application.
- Selective Service: Male applicants born after 12/31/1959, who are required to register with the Selective Service under section 3 of the Military Selective Service Act, must be registered (or must have registered at the time they were required to do so) in order to be eligible for appointment. For more information, visit the SELECTIVE SERVICE SYSTEM web site at http://www.sss.gov/default.htm.
- Veterans’ preference: Is not applicable to positions in the Senior Executive Service.
- EEO: The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Shelita Aldrich, servicing Human Resources Specialist, either by e-mail at Shelita.R.Aldrich@noaa.gov or by telephone at 301-713-6330. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users may contact us via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.
- The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
How to Apply: Applicants must complete and submit an application online at the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) USAJOBS website at https://www.USAJOBS.gov. An account must be established at the OPM website following the instructions provided in order to apply for the position. Once you have completed the USAJOBS process, you will be re-directed to the Monster Government Solutions system to complete your application process; answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. Applications submitted other than the USAJOBS online application WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED under this announcement.
To return to your saved application, log in to your USA JOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov and click on “Application Status.” Click on the position title, and then select Apply Online to continue.
Your application and all supporting documents must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date of this announcement. Applicants applying on-line for this position will be able to apply until 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date of this announcement. Please allow adequate time to complete your application.
If you encounter technical difficulties during the process, please call 1-877-662-7730 Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST (excluding Federal holidays) for assistance. If you have technical difficulties applying to the vacancy on the USAJOBS website, click on Contact USAJOBS. It is suggested that you do not wait until the last day to apply for a vacancy announcement. We will not accept applications other than those submitted through USAJOBS.
How You Will Be Evaluated: Applicants are required to submit a narrative statement for each Professional/Technical Qualification (PTQ) and each Executive Core Qualification (ECQ) listed. If you are currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and had your ECQs certified by OPM, then you only need to address each PTQ, and you do not need to submit an ECQ narrative.
All other applicants are required to respond to all ECQs and PTQs, addressing each ECQ and PTQ separately. Please give a complete and detailed answer for each qualification. Please keep in mind each ECQ and PTQ are unique qualifications. Therefore, duplicate responses are not sufficient in determining if you meet that specific qualification. Do not enter “Refer to Resume” to explain your answer. Applications directing the reader to search within the application or to “See Resume” are considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Failure to submit a narrative statement or address any of the ECQs and/or PTQs is also considered incomplete and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. As a result, you will be rated as “INCOMPLETE”.
All qualified applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Board (ERB) rating panel of senior managers to determine the degree to which they possess the executive core and professional/technical qualifications, and best qualified candidates may undergo an interview and a reference check. The ERB rating panel will make recommendations on best qualified candidates to the appointing authority. Applicants will be evaluated on the quality and extent of their total accomplishments, experience, the ECQs, and the PTQs.
To preview questions please click here.
- If you successfully completed the SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM, please provide a copy of your certificate. All required documentation must be provided on or by the closing date of the vacancy (if applicable).
- For current Senior Executives or individuals with SES reinstatement elgiblity: You are encouraged to submit your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that documents your career appointment status in the SES.
- For current Federal employees: You are encouraged to submit your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that documents your current tenure, position title, series and grade level.
- ECQ narrative responses should be attached under “Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)”.
- PTQ narrative responses should be attached under “Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs)”.
- Applicants who fail to submit requested documents WILL NOT receive consideration for this position. Application will result in an “Incomplete” rating.
- If you are unable to upload documents, you may fax your documents using the instructions below. Please fax with the appropriate cover sheet. Please refer to the fax cover sheet for the fax number. Each document must be dialed and faxed in separately as each sheet includes an identification number, which ensures your document is processed correctly.
FAXING INSTRUCTIONS: Please fax legible documents using the appropriate coversheet. Documents may be faxed at any time during the open period of this announcement by going to http://www.usajobs.opm.gov
- Log into MYUSAJOBS
- Click on “Applications”
- Locate the vacancy you applied to
- Under “Applicant Status” column, click on “More Information”
- Select “View/Generate Fax Cover Sheet” and click “Continue”
- Do not submit any additional information that is not required: Extraneous materials such as award certificates will not be considered.
- If you do not have access to the internet, please contact the Human Resources Specialist listed on this vacancy announcement.