As part of a research collaboration investigating penguin ecology and conservation, there is a PhD position available for an outstanding student to study at Monash University, Australia. The project focuses on understanding how penguins are responding to changes in their environment and provides a unique opportunity to work with a charismatic species living in Port Phillip Bay.
Key aspects of the project will be to:
• Determine penguin distribution within Port Phillip Bay, adding to several years of penguin tracking already available
• Examine whether penguin habitat usage has changed over time how birds have responded to environmental changes
• Design an experimental plan to incorporate new bio-logging technique to further knowledge of spatial distribution and usage of the marine environment
• Develop opportunities to engage citizen scientists in field research
• Provide spatial information to identify and minimise conflicts between penguins and human activities for the long term viability of the penguin population
We are interested to receive expressions of interest from prospective students, please go to tinyurl.com/penguinproject to see full details and how to apply.