PhD position in Geomatics at the University of Florida (starts spring or fall 2019)
Research area: Analyses of spatial/spectral high resolution images using machine learning and computer vision in precision agriculture and plant phenotyping (phenomics) applications
Recent advancements in image acquisition technologies provide a flood of high resolution spatial and spectral images, opening the doors for endless integration opportunities and mandating high-throughput analysis methods. The Geomatics Concentration at the University of Florida is seeking a PhD candidate who uses image processing and machine learning techniques in analyzing spatial information in precision agriculture and plant phenotyping (phenomics) applications. This PhD research within the Geomatics concentration will be primarily carried out at UF’s Gulf Coast Research and Education Center (http://gcrec.ifas.ufl.edu/) in Plant City, which is located about 20 miles east of Tampa and about 40 miles west of the Kissimmee-Orlando area. The position includes a tuition waiver, health insurance, and an annual stipend. Annual salary is around $21,500, and pending applicant qualifications. Funding for this position is available for 3 years that can be extended for up to one additional year.
Eligibility: Suitable applicants should meet the following requirements:
– A master’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Geomatics, Mathematics, Agricultural Engineering, or other related analytical disciplines, which must be earned by the time the applicant is admitted to UF.
– Experience in computer programming, e.g. Python, Matlab, or R.
– Knowledge of remote sensing and GIS analysis software such as ENVI, eCognition, and ArcGIS.
– Interest in high-throughput image and point cloud data analysis and machine learning techniques. Experience preferred.
– Published peer-reviewed manuscripts in a recognized journal is strongly recommended but not required.
Applicants with qualified academic records, TOEFL (if necessary), and GRE scores will be considered immediately.
The PhD candidate will enter an established research program leading to a PhD degree within a time frame of 3-4 years. The formal admission requirements for the PhD program must be met before an appointment can be made. The position is open until filled.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Dr. Amr Abd-Elrahman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at +1-813-757-2283. For questions related to admission, please contact Ms. Amy Abernethy at email@example.com.