Camp Kids in the Woods at the Austin Cary Forest
Join us for a week of fun-filled, hands-on activities related to local trees, critters, springs, and more at Camp Kids in the Woods, a new summer day camp at the University of Florida’s School of Forest Resources and Conservation (SFRC) Austin Cary Forest. We will be exploring the Austin Cary Forest all week and learning more about the animals and trees that make the forest so special! We’ll also be taking field trips to a local spring, park, and other exciting places!campers will participate in field explorations with scientists and natural resource professionals from a range of fields, including forestry, wildlife, water resources and entomology. Campers will also visit a local spring and participate in a one-night campout at the Austin Cary Forest. Additionally, campers will visit the UF-SFRC Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences campus and participate in a service learning project.
While we don’t have this summers schedule completed yet, here are some highlights from last summer:
- Identify and discover the many benefits of forests with faculty from the UF School of Forest Resources and Conservation (SFRC)
- Go on a bug walk with faculty from UF SFRC
- Explore local springs with staff from the Alachua County Department of Environmental Protection
- Learn about natural resource careers with personnel from the US Forest Service and other environmental agencies
- Monitor wildlife with managers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission
- Learn about frogs with the faculty from the UF Wildlife Ecology and Conservation Dept.
- Get hooked on fishing with the faculty from UF SFRC Fisheries
and Aquatic Sciences.
- Engage in animal encounters with staff from the Ashton Biological Preserve
- Participate in a 1-night campout at the forest that includes, dinner, campfire, s’mores, and deer spotlight surveying.
- Contribute to a service project that will benefit future generations of campers
- Engage in interactive games and scavenger hunts
We have two one-week sessions: June 10-14 and June 24-28, 2019.
- Ages: Rising 7th graders to rising 10th graders
- Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm
- Drop-off: 7:30am – 8:30am | Pickup: 4:30pm-5:30pm
- Shuttle Service available to and from Westside Park and the Austin Cary Forest.
- Campers will be responsible for bringing their own lunch and snack.
Registration: REGISTER NOW! Space is limited and registration is first come, first serve. Registration will close once all spots have been filled.
Cost: $235/session | Optional shuttle service: $35
Cancellation policy: If request for refund is received in writing at least 15 days prior to the beginning of the session, a full refund will be issue.
Questions: Contact the camp director, Molly Disabb, 352-378-2451, firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Kids in the Woods summer program is a collaborative effort between the University of Florida’s School of Forest Resources and Conservation and the USDA Forest Service’s Southern Research Station and Region 8.