Position: Outdoor Education Coordinator: Sanibel Sea School
Job type: Full-time
Location: Sanibel, FL and Captiva, FL
BASIC SUMMARY To develop, and execute a program that delivers the marine conservation mission of Sanibel Sea School in a fashion that highly integrates paddle watercraft. And, to develop and implement programs that help people learn, practice, and perfect practical skills that facilitate being in marine and near-shore habitats of nature for extended periods of time.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Develop and maintain an expert-level knowledge of the SUP and marine kayaking industry
- To create, manage and facilitate an ocean tribe paddling club
- To deliver marine science content from paddle craft
- To maintain all non-power propelled water-craft, accessories, and outdoor education equipment at Sanibel Sea School
- Assist in all aspects of the execution of water craft retail
- Keep an active inventory of all non-propelled water craft and related gear
- Deliver outdoor education courses including bird walks, shell walks, and general beach walks
- Provide support for Sanibel Sea School projects as needed
- Maintain an excellent standard of quality when teaching field programs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The QUALIFICATIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS, and WORK CONDITIONS listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions.
QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- A college degree with a background in Environmental Education, Biology, Marine Biology, Outdoor Recreation or a similar field.
- Experience teaching adults and children.
- Certifications (or capable of obtaining certifications) in CPR, First Aid, Lifeguarding, and American Canoeing Instructor SUP Instructor.
- Strong and competent swimmer, comfortable in outdoor settings and physically capable of leading groups of people in a variety of natural environments for extended time periods.
- Desire to promote marine conservation by sharing passion and knowledge of the natural world with students.
- Paddling and camping experience.
- The performance of this position primarily occurs in an outdoor subtropical setting with some indoor office-based work.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods as required.
- Will require hiking, climbing, paddling, and walking for long periods.
- Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist, or lifting up to fifty (50) pounds, as required throughout the work day; proper lifting techniques required
- Ability to work in the sub-tropical conditions of SW Florida for extended periods of time.
COMMENTS Each employee is responsible to for his or her output as specified through verbal and/or written instructions. Verbal and written instruction may include training, policy statements, or staff meetings.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A PDF COVER LETTER AND RESUME OR CV TO JOBS@SANIBELSEASCHOOL.ORG WITH THE SUBJECT LINE [OUTDOOR EDUCATION COORDINATOR– YOUR NAME]. THE ADVERTISEMENT PERIOD CLOSES 9/8/17 OR UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. WE WILL BEGIN THE REVIEW PROCESS AS APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED.