Position number: GRAN18
Location: Niceville and South Walton Campuses
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct and manage field and laboratory research on coastal dune lakes.
- Sample fish populations using a variety of methods (e.g., electrofishing).
- Complete lake vegetation surveys.
- Collect water samples and measure other field variables.
- Analyze water chemistry variables (e.g., total phosphorus, total nitrogen, chlorophyll, turbidity, pH).
- Enumerate phytoplankton.
- Maintain field and laboratory equipment including vehicles and vessels.
- Manage large, databases.
- Disseminate research outcomes to various outlets via written and oral materials and presentations.
- Assist with scientific-based, water quality summary reports for state/county governments and local communities.
- Train students and volunteers in field and laboratory.
- Assist with MKEI and CBA outreach events.
- Complement the MKEI and CBA team and perform other duties assigned
- Bachelor degree in aquatic science, environmental science, natural resource management, or related field required.
- Three years professional experience managing aquatic resources and/or Master of Science degree preferred.
- Knowledge of Florida’s aquatic and terrestrial flora and fauna.
- Aptitude in field and laboratory methods and procedures.
- Experience managing databases and other detailed-oriented tasks.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS software preferred.
- Ability to self-motivate, complete work within given deadline, and coordinate numerous projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated excellence engaging students and community members in science.
- Experience operating boats, trailers and/or heavy equipment, or willingness to learn.
- Willingness to work occasional weekend, early morning, or evening hours.
- Willingness and ability to work in adverse weather, including cold, heat, and/or rain.
- Valid driver license, Florida Safe Driver (or equivalent) required.
How to apply:
Please provide a complete application package that includes all of the following:
- NWF State College Application
- A cover letter explaining why you consider yourself qualified for this position.
Application Deadline: May 24, 2017.
To apply for this position, please visit our website: https://nwfsc.interviewexchange.com, or Human Resources, Northwest Florida State College, 100 College Blvd., Niceville, FL 32578 (Tel. #850- 729-5365). NWFSC offers an excellent fringe benefit package. If you are disabled and need accommodations in order to participate in the application/selection process, please notify Human Resources before the specified closeout date. All qualified persons will be considered on an equal basis. Any applicant grievance should be addressed to the Human Resources Director. NWF State College prohibits any form of discrimination on the basis of age, color, ethnicity, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, pregnancy, genetic information, or gender in any of its programs, services, or activities. Preference will be given to eligible veterans and spouses of veterans. NWF State College is an Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Institution and a Drug Free Workplace.