Under the direction of the veterinarian and the site operations manager, perform projects and assist in research related to fish health and mortality. Work closely with site management to identify and remedy the challenges to fish health that are present. Duties support the maintenance and operation of the disease laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but not limited to:
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) and promote teamwork at all times.
- Assist in developing an effective record keeping system.
- Collaborate in the team structure as well as work independently.
- Assist with vaccine research and perform bacterial culture.
- Appropriately categorize mortality to evaluate what is causing loss.
- Evaluate what percentage of pathogens contribute to the total loss.
- Identify diseases based upon external clinical symptoms.
- Track and monitor the health of steelhead fingerlings in accordance with the Fish Health Plan.
- Classify mortality, health sampling for disease identification, monitoring mortality levels, causes and factors affecting fish health.
- Observe fish behavior as an indicator of stressors and pre-empt disease outbreaks, including a degree of water quality e.g. O2 and TDG levels.
- Maintain a presence in fish health related meetings by continuing to develop outside partnerships and contacts with groups and agencies.
- Manage good aquaculture practices as part of the effort to prevent aquaculture related fish disease.
- Be the point of contact for hatchery related fish health questions regarding treatments and questions that may arise.
- Make and stain slides and identify bacterial and parasite agents.
- Regularly test for antimicrobial resistance.
- Assist in establishing a flesh quality monitoring program.
- Assist with various aspects of vaccine research by performing a variety of technical duties, including daily monitoring of challenge experiments, recording data, and performing microbiological analysis of infected tissue.
- Maintain, calibrate and modify complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures to achieve desired results.
- Maintain inventory of chemicals, prepares solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory, and safely disposes of chemical and biological waste material.
- Perform regular cleaning and standardization of all lab equipment.
- Assist in establishing a feed monitoring program.
- Ensure that feeds meet established standards.
- Be observant of problems that may contribute to fish mortality, of rough handling density, and feeding practices to avoid contribution to fish mortality.
- Assist in creating a biosecurity, and audit plan for the farm including a check-in and check-out procedures for farm visitors and effectively evaluate compliance.
- Keep precise records on fish production, and educate other team members on fish health biology.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PAC1001/JobBoard/3d1f315c-b302-5e3c-ab32-f9b155cb2fba/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=0380d5ae-e3aa-4ee3-b4b4-795f6bf63b78