Position: Marine Science Educator: Sanibel Sea School
Job type: Full-time
Location: Sanibel, FL and Captiva, FL
Basic summary: The Marine Science Educator is responsible for assisting with the development and delivery of a marine biology curriculum that supports the mission of Sanibel Sea School.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals executing this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Ensure the safety of children and adults in a variety of outdoor and marine environments
- Convey knowledge of marine science and a passion for the natural environment
- Foster an appreciation for marine ecosystems and encourage students to practice good ocean stewardship, leading by example
- Maintain an excellent standard of quality when teaching field programs
- Maintain a working knowledge of marine and local biota as well as significant developments and trends in marine science, coastal ecology, and marine conservation, especially related to Southwest Florida
- Act as an ambassador of Sanibel Sea School, working to promote our programs within the local, regional, and national community
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of facilities and equipment
- Provide support for Sanibel Sea School projects as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The QUALIFICATIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS, and WORK CONDITIONS listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions.
QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- A college degree with a background in Environmental Education, Biology, Marine Biology, Early Childhood Education, Elementary/ Secondary Education, or a similar field
- Experience working with children
- Certifications (or capable of obtaining certifications) in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding
- Strong and competent swimmer, comfortable in outdoor settings and physically capable of leading groups of children in a variety of natural environments
- Desire to promote marine conservation by sharing his or her passion and knowledge of the natural world with students
The performance of this position primarily occurs in an outdoor subtropical setting with some indoor classroom-based work
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods as required, may require walking for periodic intervals throughout the day
- Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting up to forty (40) pounds, as required throughout the work day; proper lifting techniques required
- Ability to work in the sub-tropical conditions of SW Florida
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A PDF COVER LETTER AND RESUME OR CV TO JOBS@SANIBELSEASCHOOL.ORG WITH THE SUBJECT LINE [MARINE SCIENCE EDUCATOR– YOUR NAME]. THE ADVERTISEMENT PERIOD CLOSES 9/8/17 OR UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. WE WILL BEGIN THE REVIEW PROCESS AS APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED.