University of Texas Marine Science Institute Amos Rehabilitation Keep
Job Description: To assist in caring for sea turtles, marine birds, and birds of prey at the Amos Rehabilitation Keep (ARK). Responsibilities include feeding the animals, cleaning their enclosures and tanks, record keeping, and rescuing or receiving animals when necessary.
General Notes: POSITION IS LOCATED IN PORT ARANSAS, TEXAS.
- Attend to resident animals and animals brought into the ARK for rehabilitation. Includes handling, housing, preparing diets and feeding, administering appropriate medications, and providing clean and sanitized cages, tanks, and animal quarters. Keep track of ARK animal rehabilitation progress; weighing, measuring, and recording data.
- Perform physical examinations and diagnostics to determine and evaluate health condition of wildlife at the time of admission.
- Monitor animals including those that may be isolated or quarantined for signs of illness or unusual behavior.
- Maintain records for all animals handled at the ARK into logs, including admittance data, transfers, release data, and outcome. Maintain treatment files for all animals receiving care at the ARK.
- Clean and maintain ARK equipment and facilities such as vehicles, pumps, filters, tanks, enclosures, scales, tools, work surfaces, etc.
- Monitor and supervise daily ARK volunteer activity, provide needed tasks to volunteers, and delegate accordingly.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, management, volunteers, and the public at all times. Answer and document telephone inquiries about rescues, refer calls to supervisor as needed.
- Participate in educational events, tours of the ARK, and public releases as needed.
Required Qualifications: High school graduation or GED. Four years of experience in care and handling of animals. Bachelor’s degree in Animal Sciences substitutes for up to four years of the AMOUNT of experience above. However, the KIND of experience is required. Fifteen undergraduate hours substitute for six months of experience, up to three and one-half years. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Preferred Qualifications: More than the required experience. Licensed Veterinary Technician. Experience capturing and caring for wild animals that are injured or abandoned. Previous experience as an Animal Attendant I.
Driving Required: This job requires a class “C” operator’s driver’s license. The applicant selected must provide a current three year driving record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, a Texas driver’s license must be obtained within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident.
Salary Range: $22,884 + depending on qualifications
- May work in all weather conditions.
- May work in extreme temperatures.
- May work around chemical fumes.
- May work around standard office conditions.
- May work around biohazards.
- May work around chemicals.
- May work around electrical and mechanical hazards.
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation.
- Use of manual dexterity.
- Climbing of stairs. Climbing of ladders.
- Lifting and moving.
- Work with injured animals and birds.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
You can see the full job announcement and apply for the position at https://utmsi.utexas.edu/hr/employment-opportunities