In cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management Casper Field Office, Great Basin Institute is recruiting one (1) qualified Hydrology Technician to join our AmeriCorps program. The Technicians will assist with the following projects:
The Hydrologic Technician will work closely with the agency hydrologist to assist with stream monitoring, weather station maintenance, riparian and wetland monitoring, fence maintenance for spring exclosures, surface water and groundwater collections and soil sample collection and processing. The technician will assist in Multiple Indicator Monitoring which is a protocol designed to determine the status of riparian areas. Another protocol for monitoring of rangeland conditions the technician will assist with is PFC (Proper Functioning Condition). If weather does not permit field work the technician will spend time inputting data, maintaining equipment or processing field samples.
This position is field-work intensive with approximately 80% of the term spent in the field and the remaining 20% spent analyzing data and compiling progress and final reports to be submitted by established deadlines.
•Living Allowance: $8,253.00
•AmeriCorps Education Award*: $2,199.92
•$34/night field per diem (as needed)
•$75 Weekly Housing Stipend
*AmeriCorps Education Award may be used for past, present or future education experiences, including payment of qualifying federal student loans. Loan forbearance and accrued interest payment on qualifying student loans is also available.
May 22, 2017 – September 29, 2017
Based in Casper, WY, in the vicinity of Casper Mountain and southern Big Horns. The Casper Field Office manages 1,326,733 million acres of public land for diverse resources and uses, including National Historic Trails , rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking and livestock grazing.
•Interest or experience in hydrology, geology, botany, ecology, or other related field •Identifying riparian plants is a bonus not a necessity •Ability to collect surface and ground water data in accordance with standard procedures using standard and specialized data collection equipment •Using GPS/GIS technology to collect, organize and display field data •Technical writing skills that communicate scientific results effectively and efficiently highly desirable •Ability to read topographic maps and navigate via GPS with UTM coordinates or PLSS (Public Land Survey System).
•Many of the sites will be remote and the candidate will travel to these sites and perform the required work solo.
•Ability to conduct field work across rugged terrain, carry personal and technical field equipment, and withstand inclement weather conditions •Ability to be self-motivated and willing to accomplish objectives independently with minimal supervision •Ability to function as part of an interdisciplinary team comprising various BLM resource specialists; and •Possess a clean, valid state-issued driver’s license and the ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle on and off paved roads;
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the following link: