Grenada Sea Turtle Research and Project Supervisor Internship Position
Closing date 5th December 2017
Ocean Spirits is a locally based Non-Government Organisation (NGO) that
is Grenada’s coordinator for the Wider Caribbean Sea Turtle
Conservation Network (WIDECAST) which is based in USA. In 2018 Ocean
Spirits will be running the 18th consecutive year of monitoring
Leatherback turtles in Grenada. The main nesting beach, Levera is the
third largest nesting ground in the region, recording 600-1200 nests
Grenada is a small island located in the South Eastern Caribbean Sea, it
is part of the Lesser Antilles group of islands, and Grenada is part of
the Windward Islands, which forms the West Indies. For the last 17 years
we have been working to help conserve Grenada’s critical sea turtle
stocks and habitat through conservation, education, research and
Ocean Spirits is looking to recruit candidates to supervise and manage
the day to day activities of the upcoming 2018 nesting season. This runs
February thru to Mid-August.
The leatherback turtle monitoring programme at Levera beach is one of
the busiest in the region and requires dedication, hard work and team
work to run successfully. As a supervisor of this programme, you will
be required to ensure all research activities are carried out to a high
• Manage night patrols; including flipper and microchip tagging,
collecting tissue samples and swabs, collection of morphometric data,
remove turtle tracks from the beach.
• Co-ordinating daily morning surveys on adjacent beaches to record
and disguise nesting activities.
• Monitoring nest emergence and carrying out nest excavations during
the hatching season.
• Provide detailed training, support and supervision for all
participants (international and local.)
• Be responsible for data collected during research activities, data
entry and the maintenance of all research equipment.
• In addition, where possible you may have the opportunity to
participate in the in-water hawksbill catch and release programme.
As a Team Leader/Supervisor you will also be responsible for the well
being and safety of up to 40 on project volunteer research assistants
over the entire project season and over 100 vet student volunteers. You
will oversee the smooth day to day running, maintenance and care of the
project houses and participate in the educational component of the
• A degree in biological or environmental sciences and experience
working with sea turtles is strongly preferred, but not essential as
full training will be provided.
• Previous experience in the collection of high quality biological
data is highly desirable, basic statistics knowledge and report writing
• Successful candidates MUST have strong people skills and the ability
to relate to individuals of different nationalities, cultures, ages and
• You will need to be physically fit (potentially walking up to 5km a
night on soft sand) and be able to carry out strenuous activities in all
weather conditions (34°C
heat at times be able to carry out duties in heavy rainfall and storms).
• Be aware that you will be expected to work unsociable hours (full
night patrols, early mornings and weekends).
• Hold a valid manual driving license for a minimum of two years and
experience of driving a manual vehicle for at least one year.
• Be fluent in English language, written and oral.
• Be First Aid trained or be prepared to undergo certification before
• Experience of working with other projects/groups and a familiarity
with working in developing countries would be desirable.
• Confident in using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and a working
knowledge of Social Media is advantageous.
• Essential – a good sense of humour, friendly, outgoing personality,
Duration: February 2018 – August 2018
• Accommodation and food will be provided (accommodation consists of
two properties that are basic but cosy, electricity, water and limited
with shared same sex bedrooms with research assistants, shared bathroom,
kitchen and living spaces)
• A small stipend will be paid on a weekly basis.
• Airport transfers to and from the project included.
• Visa Extension fee will be covered by Ocean Spirits.
• You are responsible for all other costs incurred and are required to
arrange your own flights and full travel/medical insurance (including
medical evacuation) for the duration of your stay.
Please send the attached application form, a letter of introduction, a
recent photograph of yourself and your CV to
Please note ONLY successful applicants will be contacted for Interviews.
All interviews will be conducted 10th- 22nd December via Skype.
Applicant must be available for Skype Interview between those dates.
For more information about Ocean Spirits please visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.oceanspirits.org_&d=DwIDaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=o_ljaKw1739Y26K5g-P-PsM6ZWbombkoeLylqcUefCo&m=EfL-ZxLcUYXXMHXNTGKSDgp0NykIgutAJ-Oy2GB2wYE&s=t_vzzI443tmFjg2GFjFt0pQJ6SC_R3YQV8P23tP1oNE&e= and check out our Facebook page