Geographical Information System and maps. Applies principles of logical and scientific thinking and Influence systems to define tasks, collect data and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form and to instruct others in system use. Work is performed with limited direction and considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work, addressing complaints, and resolving problems. Responsible for instructing other City personnel in the operation of GIS System.
- Researches Geographic Information Systems (GIS) needs of all City Departments; translates GIS requirements into logical, economical and practical system design.
- Maintains, updates, GIS databases and ArcGIS Web Servers for the City of Fort Myers.
- Coordinates GIS needs for updating and replication of GIS services within the City of Fort Myers departments.
- Coordinates Public Safety needs of GIS with Fort Myers Police and Fire Departments. Assists public safety end users with geo-spatial technologies, including application training
- Controls the dissemination of open public datasets for GIS.
- Designs, creates, and deploys web applications and surveys for use in all departments. Administers the City of Fort Myers online systems.
- Assists and implements City EOC GIS (Damage Assessment) software before during and after hazard events.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of design specifications for the ‘geographic systems database to ensure overall system compatibility.
- Maintains and/or enhances database structures and data collection methodology.
- Serves as Geo database and Server database administrator.
- Develops GIS operating policies, procedures, standards, quality control and data verification procedures, and data security methods.
- Establishes a system control and security maintenance plan for protecting database integrity; identifies data errors and makes modification/corrections as appropriate.
- Structures and codes computer programs for automation/enhancement to GIS operations, data, conversion, and data expansion.
- Provides input into the GIS operating budget, and monitors cost/expenditures to ensure adherence to such, as well as established departmental/City goals and objectives.
- Provides input into contracts for professional services, to include notice to precede, verification of deliverables.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments in the field of geographic information systems.
- Develops, tests, and implements procedures to accomplish goals and objectives of the City with respect to geographic information systems development and maintenance.
- Confers with vendors in evaluating equipment, software, products, cost factors, and utility; develops specifications for purchase requisitions.
- Researches, evaluates and provides recommendation for new system equipment or software for management and end users.
- Receives reviews, prepares and/or submits various records and reports including graphs, maps, charts, terminal studies, flow charts, architectural drawings, engineering drawings and surveys, letters and newspaper copy.
- Operates a variety of computers and file servers, Global Positioning System, and other equipment, surveying, tablet computers, and other hand held cellular devices.
- Will occasionally require driving a motor vehicle to accomplish tasks.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee’s physical presence at the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fortmyersfl/jobs/2232896/gis-manager