Geographic Information Systems Analyst
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Salary: $62,171.20 – $85,612.80 annually
Open Date: 09/20/17
Closing Date: Open until filled
Job description: This position requires you to understand and implement the various ways in which GIS can provide value added benefits throughout the City in general, and the Public Works Department in particular. You will report to the City’s GIS Manager and be part of the enterprise GIS team, a Division of the Information Technology Services Department. You will be based out of the Public Works Utilities office with frequent visits to other City offices to collaborate with other Public Works and Information Technology staff. As such, the position will primarily be responsible for the proliferation of GIS in the Public Works Department, which includes water utilities operation, sewer utilities operation, stormwater utilities operation, engineering, sanitation, and sustainability. The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description. Some specific duties are highlighted as follows:
- Perform continuous assessments of GIS needs in the Public Works Department.
- Make recommendations on how GIS and related technologies can be used to facilitate improvements in the quality of work and efficiency in the Public Works Department.
- Implement customer-facing GIS technology, including Esri application templates.
- Assume a lead role in the pending GIS-centric asset management system for water, sewer, and stormwater utilities (the City is currently evaluating vendors).
- Fulfill requests for spatial analysis, mapping, and report generation using the ArcGIS suite of products.
- Update and quality check data primarily depicting aspects of the City’s water, sewer, and stormwater utility networks.
- Write scripts and configure tools to automate repetitive tasks and facilitate data transfer.
- Field-verify locations using survey grade GPS units.
- Provide technical support and consulting to ArcGIS Desktop users and ArcGIS Online users.
- Conduct user training primarily on ArcGIS Desktop products and ArcGIS Online.
About Fort Lauderdale GIS
The coastal City of Fort Lauderdale is the largest municipality in Broward County, Florida and is the County seat. Our forward thinking enterprise GIS program has been recognized by Esri through showcase of our work in their newsletters, brochures, tweets, and presentation on the main stage of their International User Conference in San Diego. Our work have also been published in trade journals such as one published by the International City/County Management Association
- Management Category V job classification for benefits purposes.
- Generous vacation time with four (4) additional management vacation days annually.
- 401(a) participation with 9% city contribution with no requirement for employee match.
Requirements and Preferences:
- You must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information processing, geography, engineering, mathematics, urban and regional planning, or a closely related field.
- You must have at least two (2) years of work experience in the GIS field to include experience using Esri’s ArcGIS suite of products. An appropriate Master’s degree may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
- GIS experience working with utility networks is not necessary but is desirable.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a high degree of proficiency in the items listed in the Supplemental Questions of the official application.
- This position will remain open until a sufficient number of applications have been received.
- An in-depth pre-employment background check, including a polygraph exam, will be conducted as part of the selection process as this position is deemed security-sensitive. Felony convictions, convictions of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position. It is your responsibility to provide at time of application, an official disposition of all charges of which you were found guilty, had adjudication withheld, or pled no contest.
- This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Federation of Public Employees and therefor is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Federation of Public Employees.
How to Apply:
Apply by accessing the official job posting and application at the following URL: https://tinyurl.com/y8g6p74d
For further inquiries, contact the City’s Human Resources Department at HumanResources@fortlauderdale.gov or at 954-828-5300.