OPPORTUNITY: Forest ReLeaf of Missouri, a St. Louis-based nonprofit organization, is seeking a full-time Forestry Manager. The successful candidate will work with the Executive Director and governing Board of Trustees to develop, implement and evaluate strategic community forestry programs throughout the region in support of Forest ReLeaf’s mission of planting trees and enriching communities. S/he will provide direction and technical support for the Nursery Manager at the CommuniTree Nursery and Arboretum, an award-winning and unique model for native tree cultivation and distribution.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Forestry Manager reports to the Executive Director. S/he may supervise seasonal workers and summer interns.
Forestry Programs Planning and Implementation
- Set yearly goals, objectives and budgetary requirements in alignment with Forest ReLeaf’s strategic plan. Implement and assess the efficacy of signature tree distribution and planting programs:
- Project CommuniTree: the 3-gallon tree distribution throughout the service area.
- Priority ReLeaf: distribution of larger trees for special projects in financially underserved areas and those recovering from disaster.
- Contract Growing: sales of native trees, shrubs and other plants made available to the municipal and nonprofit partners.
- Together with the Partnership Coordinator, serve as Forest ReLeaf’s liaisons with organizational partners and other groups requesting free trees, providing technical assistance as needed.
- Oversee implementation of the annual re-inventory data collection tool to assess tree health for Forest ReLeaf’s newly planted trees; analyze results and make program adjustments as indicated.
- Maintain select new plantings for successful establishment, including watering, mulching and young tree care.
- Manage GIS database (including tree canopy, past projects, etc.) to create strategies that maximize tree planting investments.
- Coordinate and implement special projects at nursery and partner locations (planting events, mulching, watering, tree maintenance, etc.) in cooperation with Board Committees, contractors and Forest ReLeaf staff.
- Support volunteer engagement and activities at the nursery and in the field.
- Work collaboratively with the Partnership Coordinator to assess volunteer preferences, and track hours worked.
Forestry Education & Outreach
- Develop and coordinate speakers for a twice-yearly TreeKeepers course offered to the public.
- Lead the ForestKeepers network by developing educational materials, writing articles, recruiting new members and coordinating an annual conference.
- Respond to education and outreach activities requested by the public including training sessions, workshops and phone inquiries.
- Teach forestry skills during youth Tree Camp.
- Direct seasonal Tree Tenders youth corps activities.
CommuniTree Gardens Nursery and Arboretum
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to Nursery Manager related to seedling orders, species diversity, tree health and best management practices.
- Manage arboretum tree inventory and maintenance.
- Represent Forest ReLeaf at meetings of professional organizations, including the Missouri Community Forestry Council and Midwest Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture.
- Bring new initiatives and innovative thinking to the organization.
Education: Must have at least an associate degree (Bachelor of Science preferred) in Forestry, Horticulture or closely related field.
Experience: Knowledge of tree identification, planting and care. Prefer at least five (5) years of experience in community forestry or a related field. Prior supervisory experience is a plus. Must possess, or be able to obtain within one year, International Society of Arboriculture certification. Experience using GIS, Word, Excel and Power Point is required.
Other Expertise: Strong leadership, communication, flexibility and human relations skills are critical for this position. Must be able to function well as a team player with staff, volunteers and partner organizations. Nursery work requires occasional heavy lifting and physical exertion. A valid driver’s license is required; use of personal vehicle for agency-related travel will receive mileage reimbursement. A Class E or CDL Class B license will be needed for some vehicle operations. Working hours, especially during the spring and fall seasons, will require regular weekend and evening commitments.
COMPENSATION: The pay range is $40K -$50K, depending on education and experience. Forest ReLeaf offers excellent insurance benefits including comprehensive medical and dental coverage and provides matching retirement investments. Forest ReLeaf of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Meridith Perkins Executive Director email@example.com
Visit web page for more information: http://moreleaf.org/about/job-opportunities/