Work in conjunction with site Operation Managers and Fish Health Team to manage, maintain and execute all aspects of the Fish Health Plan at our Aquaculture hatcheries and farm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but not limited to:
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) and promote teamwork at all times.
- Oversee the administration of antibiotics in large net pen facility and hatcheries with a herd management mentality.
- Be up to date on all USDA VFD regulations and policies needed for aquaculture farm management.
- Assist with research projects in conjunction with National Center for Cool & Cold Water Aquaculture (NCCCWA), Western Fisheries Research Center (WFRC) and others. Has to keep accurate records as results will be published.
- Assist in developing a database or other effective record keeping system.
- Assist with data collection and recording.
- Assist with vaccine research and perform bacterial culture when necessary.
- Categorize mortality to identify diseases based upon external clinical symptoms. This is imperative to develop vaccines that work.
- Possess basic microscopic skills to make and stain slides and identify bacterial and parasite agents.
- Collaborate with partners on research projects.
- Perform regular cleaning and standardization of all lab equipment and lab facilities.
- Maintain a presence in fish health related meetings by continuing to develop outside partnerships and contacts with groups and agencies.
- Assist in establishing a feed monitoring program and ensure that feeds meet established standards.
- Assist in establishing a flesh quality monitoring program.
- Become a point of contact for hatchery related fish health questions regarding treatments and questions that may arise.
- Manage good aquaculture practices as part of the effort to prevent aquaculture related fish disease.
- Be observant of problems that may contribute to fish mortality, of rough handling density, and feeding practices to avoid contribution to fish mortality.
- Assist in creating a biosecurity plan for the farm including a check-in and check-out procedures for guests visiting the farm, and once created adherence to the policy must be audited to effectively evaluate compliance.
- Track and monitor the health of eggs, fingerlings and adult steelhead with the Fish Health Plan.
- Observe fish behavior as an indicator of stressors and pre-empt disease outbreaks.
- Maintain precise records on fish production, and educate other team members on fish health biology.
- Play a key role in reviewing and improving fish husbandry and production with a key focus on survival of stocks. Reduce stresses present not only from biological elements but also environmental conditions.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PAC1001/JobBoard/3d1f315c-b302-5e3c-ab32-f9b155cb2fba/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=16d0c4fd-8486-4cc2-ad8b-a6bba8a666d8