Full-time forestry technicians are needed to aid in the collection of field
data for research projects occurring across western Montana this fall.
These projects are focused on tree and stand growth responses to early
density control and on regeneration success in burned areas. All projects
will involve group travel to field sites in western Montana. Work vehicles
will be provided for travel and accommodation will be provided when the
work is not based out of Missoula; in many cases this will involve camping
at/near field sites. If you’re interested in touring remote areas of the
northwest by 4×4, working in the woods, and learning about tree and stand
dynamics, this is the job for you!
Primary responsibilities will include locating and establishing forest
growth plots as well as collecting data on tree growth and forest
regeneration. Other duties will include processing of tree materials and
data entry in the lab. Motivated individuals who enjoy working with others
under diverse field conditions are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants will
1) have prior field experience in forestry, range, or other natural
2) have a strong work ethic and good interpersonal skills;
3) be able to tolerate adverse field conditions including heat, cold, and
4) hold a valid driver’s license and a good driving record; and
5) be capable of working long days in the field, while maintaining quality
control in field measurements and data recording.
Preferred applicants will
1) be working towards a degree in forestry or a related natural resource
2) have first aid certification;
3) have experience in orienteering, map/photo interpretation, and GPS
4) have an interest in forestry or natural resources research.
Pay rate will be commensurate with qualifications and past experience ($11
– $13/hr). Employment is expected to run from late August through late
October. Successful applicants will be hired as employees of the Franke
College of Forestry & Conservation at the University of Montana. As an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications
from minorities, veterans, and women.
Complete applications will include 1) a cover letter with information about
your interests and qualifications, dates of availability, and current
contact information, 2) a current resume, and 3) names and contact
information (phone and email) of two professional references. Questions and
application materials can be sent directly to Dr David Affleck
(email@example.com). Review of applications will begin immediately
and continue until the positions are filled.