Description: The Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTM Research Reserve) has six (6) summer internships available for undergraduate and/or graduate students currently enrolled in an accredited environmental education program, marine science program, or a related field. Strong candidates possess a strong interest in:
- Science education
- Environmental education
- Providing students indoor and outdoor hands-on learning opportunities
- Learning about the importance of estuarine and coastal ecosystems
The Adventures in the Estuary summer camps are held at the GTM Research Reserve’s Education Center (505 Guana River Road, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082). Each day, interns will help lead and assist both campers and staff through indoor and outdoor learning activities. Nearly all of the programs are modeled after field biologists and citizen scientists research occurring within the National Estuarine Research Reserve system. Activities range from beach profiling, kayaking, seining to fish printing, ROV’s, and conservation actions. Each week (pertaining to day-camps) are focused on habitats comprising the estuary (Ocean, Estuary, and Forest). There are two week-long overnight camps (13-15yr and 16-17yr). The 13-15yr camp will focus on conservation efforts at the GTM Research Reserve, and the 16-17yr camp will focus on careers in the environmental field.
Summer camp hours vary depending on the week. Please see below for detailed information.
Time Commitment: 40 Hours per week, over an 9 week period
- Arrive on June 1, 2018 before 12pm.
- Check out of dorms on August 4, 2018 by 12pm.
- Camp Week 1: June 4-8, 2018 (13-15yr overnight camp)
- Camp Week 2: June 11-15, 2018 (Ocean Week I, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- Camp Week 3: June 18-22, 2018 (Ocean Week II, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- Camp Week 4: June 25-29, 2018 (Estuary Week I, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- No Camp, expected to be here July 2, 3 and 6 from 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch
- Camp Week 5: July 9-13, 2018 (Estuary Week II, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- Camp Week 6: July 16-20, 2018 (Forest Week I, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- Camp Week 7: July 23-27, 2018 (Forest Week II, 8am – 5pm, includes 1 hour lunch)
- Camp Week 8: July 30 – Aug 3, 2018 (16-17yr overnight camp)
Selected Interns will:
- Stay onsite at the GTM Research Reserve Research Dorms (checking in on June 1 through August 4, 2018). You must be able to stay onsite during Summer Camp weeks, and welcome to remain during off-weeks (during the aforementioned timeframe).
- Receive a grocery allowance per month
- Receive a $1,000 scholarship for Fall 2018 semester
Submission Deadline: Sunday, April 1, 2018, 5:00 p.m. EST
To Apply: Complete the following application (https://form.jotform.com/70106201982144). Please note you will need to attach your CV/Resume and complete a personal statement (300 – 500 words) on why you are interested in this opportunity and what you hope to gain from this experience. We recommend typing your personal statement in another program (e.g., Word, Google Docs) and then cutting and pasting into the form.
Additional Camp Details:
Depending on your experience and interests we will place you with (note there will, for the most part, be a GTM Research Reserve staff member with you):
- Camper Ages: 4-6yr, 7-9yr, and 10-12yr
- Maximum campers per week: 15
- There will always be at least two adults with students at all times