Director of the Georgia Forestry Commission
See job announcement flyer for more details.
The Georgia Forestry Commission is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Director of the Georgia Forestry Commission. The Director is responsible for supervision of 600+ personnel with an annual operating budget of more than $50 million. In addition, the Director serves as the state forester, the administrative officer and executive secretary of the Commission Board, and represents the Commission in other forestry related organizations.
The Georgia Forestry Commission traces its roots back to 1925 when the Georgia legislature created the Forestry Department to coordinate efforts to suppress wildfires. Since then the Commission has evolved to touch all aspects of Georgia’s vast forest resources. The main office of the Commission is located in Macon, Georgia. The Commission operates approximately 120 offices across the state which includes 109 county protection units as well as an Urban Community Forestry Program, a Forest Products Marketing Program, a Nursery, and Air Operations. The mission of the Georgia Forestry Commission is to provide leadership, service, and education in the protection and conservation of Georgia’s forest resources.
Candidates for this position should possess the following:
- Ability to develop and successfully communicate a vision of leadership in establishing and maintaining a successful top level forestry organization;
- Ability to work effectively with legislative and executive branches of state government;
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills to work effectively with forest landowners, industry, the environmental education community, and a wide range of natural resource agencies and NGO partners;
- Demonstrated experience with budgetary development and management;
- Emphasis will be placed on candidates who hold a Bachelor of Science degree in forestry or who have significant experience in forest management; and
- Candidates with relevant state agency leadership experience (GFC or other state agencies) will be preferred
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The application deadline is Friday, October 30, 2020 with interviews as soon as possible thereafter. Complete applications in a single PDF file with a cover letter no more than three pages, a complete resume, and contact information for 3-5 professional references should be sent to the address below. Permission will be obtained from applicants before references are contacted.
Complete applications must be received by the deadline and should be e-mailed to:
For more information about the Georgia Forestry Commission visit: www.gatrees.org
Please visit the website before applying.