Job Position: Research Associate
Organisation: Cape Eleuthera Institute / Perry Institute of Marine Science
The Cape Eleuthera Institute (CEI) in collaboration with the Perry Institute of Marine Science (PIMS) is seeking a full-time Research Associate specializing in coral reef restoration. Successful applicants will play a central role in a multi-year national research program entitled “Reversing the Decline of Bahamian Coral Reefs”.
Successful candidates will be based on the CEI campus, which is found on the island of Eleuthera in The Bahamas, although the candidate will be required to travel regularly throughout the Caribbean. The candidate will receive substantial remote support from PIMS scientists. For more information on CEI, please visit http://ceibahamas.org and for more information on PIMS, please visit http://www.perryinstitute.org/.
The position is suited for early career scientists that are enthusiastic about working at a non-traditional academic institution that supports strong integration between research, education, and outreach.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
• PhD in Biology or a related field or an MSc with over 3 years of field experience and a track-record of publishing in peer-reviewed scientific journals
• PADI Divemaster certification or equivalent
• Experience in team management
• Prior teaching experience, preferably across different age groups
• Willingness to travel periodically to assist with related projects throughout The Bahamas
• Able to work in a hot, tropical climate in a small tight-knit community
• Small boat handling qualification
• Wilderness First Responder Certified
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
• Experience with standardized coral reef surveying methods such as AGRRA or similar (e.g. GCRMN)
• Lead a small research team to complete the objectives of the “Reversing the Decline of Bahamian Coral Reefs” initiative
• Brainstorm and develop new research initiatives under the guidance of CEI and PIMS staff
• Seek and assist in fundraising efforts
• Analyze data and prepare manuscripts for submission in peer-reviewed scientific journals
• Recruit, coordinate, train, and manage grad students, research interns, and volunteers
• Provide logistical support for visiting scientists
• Represent CEI and PIMS at local and international events
• Teach one semester per year at the Island School.
• Liaise with CEI and PIMS social media coordinators to raise awareness about your research
Compensation & Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Room, board and medical insurance
• 26 days of paid vacation per year
• Eligibility for matching retirement plan after two years of service
This is a full-time position requiring a minimum one year commitment. There is potential to renew this contract over a total of three years based on an annual performance review. CEI operates year-round and working hours vary depending on project needs. A typical work week is Monday-Friday (40 hours/week), however, at times evening and weekend work will be required.
Please submit a CV and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com
Informal inquiries should be made to: Dr Nathan Robinson, Director CEI (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are accepting applications until the 30th September 2018.
We are a Bahamian equal opportunity employer.