nature preserve, is seeking a qualified person to fill the position of:
BIOLOGICAL FIELD TECHNICIAN- FOREST VEGETATION
The Mohonk Preserve helps to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and
inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The
Preserve manages 8,500 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in
Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation
Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a
regional model for large-scale conservation planning.
The Biological Field Technician for Forest Vegetation will perform
surveys and record data of forest vegetation diversity and assess
vegetative impact from white-tailed deer on Mohonk Preserve. This
position will support departmental initiatives, outreach opportunities,
and carrying out the Preserve’s mission. The position is supervised by
the Research Ecologist and also requires working closely with other
Conservation Science and Mohonk Preserve staff. This hourly, grant-
funded position runs for approximately 16 weeks, April 30th – August
• Assist with placement of forest regeneration and white-tailed deer
browse-impact monitoring plots
• Follow existing protocols (NETN’s Long-term Forest Health Monitoring
and AVID) to conduct surveys of forest vegetation, deer impact on
vegetation, and soil health within forest plots
• Record, manage, and enter scientific data
• Prepare project assessment report summarizing seasonal findings
• Perform other related duties to support department and preserve as
assigned by the Conservation Science Department
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, forestry, or ecology preferred
• Experience conducting field research essential; experience conducting
forest vegetation surveys preferred
• Ability to identify local vegetation, especially trees and shrubs
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail essential
• Familiarity with using forestry equipment including but not limited to
tape measures, DBH tape, densitometer, compass, clinometer, and quadrats
• Computer proficiency; familiarity with data entry and management, e.g.
MS Excel; proficiency using GPS technology
• Ability to work cooperatively with Preserve staff, volunteers, and
• Ability to hike up to five miles in a rugged outdoor environment
carrying up to 30 pounds of equipment in all weather conditions
• Willingness to work some irregular hours, including some weekends
Salary: $14 per hour; approx. 30 hrs. per week.
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit as a single PDF:
cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for 3 references
by 5PM EST March 30th, 2018 to: email@example.com.
Include in subject line “Forest Vegetation”. No phone calls please.
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete,
comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities
that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned
activities and other duties assigned.
For more information about the Preserve, visit our website:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a
diverse pool of candidates.