Sea Turtle Program, Volusia County, Florida, USA
2018 Volunteer Internship Positions
Volusia County Environmental Management is seeking motivated, team oriented individuals to participate in the 2018 sea turtle and shorebird nesting season. Sea turtle nesting season is from May 1 to October 31. Interested applicants are needed three to four days a week beginning the first week of May until the end of September or October.
The experience you gain from these positions is limited only by your initiative to learn. These positions are multifaceted, including sea turtle and shorebird nest monitoring work, as well as the opportunity to gain insight into the management of a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), government administration, and enforcement of rules and regulations pertaining to the protection of endangered and threatened species and the beach environment. Self-starters and eager learners are highly encouraged to apply.
Internship/volunteer position duties include:
– Conduct early morning sea turtle nesting surveys. This work includes monitoring, marking, and excavating sea turtle nests and recording all necessary data under the supervision of a field biologist and along with other volunteers.
– Conduct shorebird nest surveys and perform educational stewardship activities.
– Operate and maintain four wheel drive vehicles. A vehicle for work transportation will be provided.
– Use high accuracy GPS units to collect waypoints and relevant information at all nest sites.
– Data entry work including the use of Microsoft Access and Excel programs to accurately record biological data and track other HCP-related information.
– Distribute educational material to coastal residents and businesses, interact positively with the public, and participate in educational outreach events.
– Additional opportunities include monitoring other coastal wildlife, coordinating beach clean-up events, responding to marine mammal and sea turtle strandings, assisting with sea turtle lighting surveys, and making connections for future opportunities within this field of interest.
All applicants must be 21 years or older, pass a background check, and have or be able to obtain a Florida drivers license. Selected persons must be able to handle physically demanding conditions including extreme heat, moderate rain and biting insects.
*Preferred candidates possess basic knowledge of sea turtle biology and will plan to attend one of the FWC Nesting Beach Survey Workshops (http://myfwc.com/research/wildlife/sea-turtles/nesting/training-materials/). Internship program hours may be used for college credits.
Please be advised that room/board/salary and benefits are NOT provided.
*Interested applicants must mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume and three professional references (including available start/finish dates and number of days per week you are able to commit) to:
Volusia County Environmental Management, 440 South Beach Street, Daytona Beach, FL 32114
Attn: Becki O’Keefe or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for all applications is Friday, March 2, 2018.
Please direct questions to Becki O’Keefe at email@example.com or (386) 238-4716.